The Buckwheat Brekky Bowl is a great alternative to a typical breakfast. This is ideal for those slightly cooler weekend mornings, or those weekdays when you feel like something warm to get you ready for the day ahead.
Buckwheat is a great alternative to oats, spelt, and other gluten based cereals. It is versatile and can be added to a range of dishes.
1 CUP WATER
2 TBSP DRIED BERRIES (I USED INCA BERRIES)
1/2 CUP ORGANIC BUCKWHEAT
1 SCOOP (30G) VANILLA PROTEIN POWDER (I USED ESA PROTEIN, AS ALWAYS!)
1 TSP CINNAMON
2 TBSP CHOPPED BLANCHED ALMONDS
2 TBSP SUNFLOWER SEEDS
1/4 CUP ALMOND MILK (UNSWEETENED)
2 FRESH STRAWBERRIES (FOR TOPPING)
1. BRING THE WATER TO THE BOIL IN A SMALL SAUCEPAN.
2. ADD BUCKWHEAT AND COOK FOR ROUGHLY 10 MINS ON A LOW HEAT. KEEP CHECKING THE WATER LEVEL TO ENSURE IT DOESN'T DRY OUT.
3. ONCE THE BUCKWHEAT HAS SOFTENED AND MOST OF THE WATER HAS BOILED OFF, THEN TAKE IT OFF THE HEAT AND STIR THROUGH THE BERRIES, PROTEIN, CINNAMON, ALMONDS, SUNFLOWER SEEDS AND ALMOND MILK.
4. STIR THROUGH TO MAKE SURE ALL THE INGREDIENTS ARE WELL MIXED, THEN POUR INTO A BOWL.
5. FINISH WITH FRESH STRAWBERRY SLICES, AND SOME ADDITIONAL ALMOND MILK (OPTIONAL).